Thursday, January 10, 2013

Listen to them- even when they're not talking

My little angel showing off her pigtails
My daughter is 21 months old and is JUST starting to talk. Let me rephrase that- She is JUST starting to be understood when she talks :) She has recently figured out that she can reach for my hand and lead me to whatever it is that she wants. When she wants something to drink, she drags me into the kitchen. When she wants something out of her crib, she guides me to her bedroom.

There are days when she wants to drag me places and I am simply at my wits end and don't go. Other times I just pick her up and guess what she wants. Yesterday I told her that I had to go to the bathroom (we were reading books and I didn't want her to think that I was just leaving her there). She stood up with me and reached for my hand. I followed her and she brought me to the bathroom.

There was something wonderfully calm and almost spiritual that I noticed as I held her hand. This sweet little girl wanted to tell me something and she knew I would understand. She didn't yell or make a fuss, simply took me by the hand and guided me. This made me think about the Holy Ghost and how often I feel prompted to do something. Sometimes I let the spirit guide me and other times I'm not 'in the mood' to be dragged around.
When I listen and let the spirit guide me, I am always blessed. Always.

Yesterday my little girl went potty in the toilet. If I wouldn't have been 'in the mood' to be dragged around the house, I would have missed this wonderful opportunity. I am a busy mom with many responsibilities. This was a beautiful reminder that I will always be busy and I need to stop and make a choice to LISTEN and BE THERE for my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment